This blog is about my garden and the outdoors. I am new to photography but I am trying to show some of the pretty things that grow here in Michigan. I love the wild things who visit me and I dont mind if they eat a bit here and there. I like it more if they let me take their picture. As time goes on I think I will try to show you around the beautiful area that I live in as well as my garden. I try to use my own pictures as much as possible but will also use pictures from the web. If I inadvertently use your photo or work without permission please email me and I will remove it or give credit if you prefer. I will give credit when I know who the owner is. I would ask that anyone using my pictures do the same.
... I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.......Psalm23:6
If you do not have a blog and wish to comment (I love comments) you can join google and comment via that, It's free

Monday, May 11, 2015

Rainy Day..................

What to do on a rainy day......go for a walk, what else. I figure we wont shrink and the flowers will be fresh and pretty. Well it wasn't raining very hard, it is now and we need it. Tristen got to try out my umbrella and we found that it is defective. Bummer. Thats OK he had fun and I ever use one anyway.
 photo 100_6836_zpst6xxqgh1.jpg
 photo 100_6849_zpssksv3kf8.jpg
I saw a lot of Dandelions. I have said before and say again, I love Dandelions. Look at them, and look at this yellow Marigold. How can one be acceptable and the other not? A Dandilion is good for so many things if we care to learn about them.
[Dandelion is an herb. People use the above ground parts and root to make medicine.
Dandelion is used for many conditions, but so far, there isn’t enough scientific evidence to determine whether or not it is effective for any of them.
Dandelion is used for loss of appetite, upset stomach, intestinal gas, gallstones, joint pain, muscle aches, eczema, and bruises. Dandelion is also used to increase urine production and as a laxative to increase bowel movements. It is also used as skin toner, blood tonic, and digestive tonic.
Some people use dandelion to treat infection, especially viral infections, and cancer
In foods, dandelion is used as salad greens, and in soups, wine, and teas. The roasted root is used as a coffee substitute.](WebMd)
I think we need to relearn some of these forgotten uses. The day will come when this information will be valuable. The Native Americans used to know so much herbal lore. Of course I would rather NOT have to go back to bear grease to avoid mosquitoes but......well.
 photo 100_6795_zpszfiyslcj.jpg
 photo 100_6750_zpsd7pnoouj.jpg
Anyway, everything in the garden is growing fast. I am watching all the Hostas come up. Some are way up and others still only just breaking the ground. I have some that probably should be seperated but I like them full so I just buy more every year. I love this lime green one. I think I will get one of the almost white ones I saw the other day.
 photo 100_6752_zpsvcdykyyy.jpg
I still need some flower baskets to fill gaps. I sure am not getting anymore flats. I am so over planting those. I am so anxious to get finished I keep forgetting it's still the beginning of May. The tulips are beautiful. Funny thing is none inside my garden are blooming, and yet everywhere along the ally and across the road they all are bright and beautiful.
 photo 100_6835_zpsjqbf211j.jpg
 photo 100_6804_zpslhozsizb.jpg
I intend to transplant some of the violets that are taking over in the garden and see if they like it under the pine trees. That will be a big job and I must wait until its a bit dryer out there. I also have to get rid of Lilly of the Valley. As much as I adore the scent, they spread where they are not wanted. I was reading about invasive species. I have several in my garden but I like them so choose to try to manage them. Some of my shrubs have come up in other places, thats fine, I will just move them when they are bigger. I always need stuff as fillers. I noticed that my Burning Bush has babys all over. They will be moved to form a hedge soon. The Barberry is prickly but I like the berries for the birds. Some of the things I planted and wont spread as I want is Ivy yet the vinca vine intrudes, so does the Periwinkle. It's a mystery.
 photo 100_6773_zpsi6mb46wk.jpg
I am looking for unusual containers. This one was part of a lamp I made long ago in ceramics class. I put a small plate at the open end for drainage and I think it makes a nice planter
 photo 100_6747_zpsrct78yhs.jpg
Old boxes are a favourite of mine. These smaller Hosta are coming up from last year so seem to like it well enough.
 photo 100_6758_zpsu3mq0uju.jpg
Enough for today. I took a lot of pictures, so will post more another day.


5 comments:

Magic Love Crow said...

I love dandelions too ;o) In our backyard, I leave them alone ;o) I actually haven't taken any out in the front yard yet. Gorgeous pics ;o) I love my Hostas too ;o)

September Violets said...

The poor underestimated dandelion. They do look cheery, and they add some colour to my front lawn against all that boring green of all my neighbours' perfectly sprayed lawns ;) I didn't know they had so many uses! Your flower photos are all lovely, especially that lime green hosta! I've never bought a hosta, but had mine given to me by a friend. I've since split that gift over and over again and have hosta all over the garden. Your grandson looks like he quite enjoyed his walk in the rain :) Enjoy your week Janice!
Wendy

Unknown said...

LG will reportedly start selling an 8K TV sometime this year — meanwhile, despite a year’s head start, Sharp and Samsung don’t yet have an 8K TV on the market. Pricing on LG’s 8K TV is unknown — but its 4K TVs, which went on sale this year, are surprisingly cheap.

Runescape Gold

DELETED said...

lovely blog!

Craftymoose Crafts said...

We have hosta plants all along the front of the house--I love it when they have their purple flowers! We had a burst of really hot weather but it has cooled off again. I got all the seed planted and am working on the inside of the house right now,