This blog is about my garden and the outdoors. I am new to photography but I am trying to show some of the pretty things that grow here in Michigan. I love the wild things who visit me and I dont mind if they eat a bit here and there. I like it more if they let me take their picture. As time goes on I think I will try to show you around the beautiful area that I live in as well as my garden. I try to use my own pictures as much as possible but will also use pictures from the web. If I inadvertently use your photo or work without permission please email me and I will remove it or give credit if you prefer. I will give credit when I know who the owner is. I would ask that anyone using my pictures do the same.
... I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.......Psalm23:6
If you do not have a blog and wish to comment (I love comments) you can join google and comment via that, It's free

Sunday, February 12, 2017

Flea Market Gardening..........................

Oh I am really getting fidgety, I want to get out and work outside. I have been reading some garden magazines as the snow comes down outside. The plough just went by so it kind of burst my bubble, but then the sun came out and filled me again with hope.
I collected some of my ideas and decided that was what my blog was going to be about today.
First of all, you know who you are when I say this one made me think of you.
 photo 65f4512d7c5cccf3ae15c0052f891c47_zpsu8ljbrol.jpg
We have a tree stump left from when a tree was cut down a few years ago. I wanted to do something with it as it is on the property line near the ally.I thought this idea was doable, maybe not quite so fussy as this one but along these lines.
 photo 16649148_1859494037627015_2431018069464682355_n_zpslwprtryj.jpg
One thing to do this year since Mr T is not living here now, I want to improve the patio. He and Reina would pull up the stones looking for bugs. Well I want to put gravel in-between to stop weeds from growing. Something like this.
 photo landscaping-with-pea-gravel-flagstone-with-pea-gravel-patio-ideas-40804d4ecd12ee5b_zpslf5q9ltq.jpg
I want to cut back on the actual gardens now, too much work and expense so I think I will expand the Poodle paths this year and move the plants so that I don't have to buy as many. Then this idea was something I thought I could manage, I have a round basin but it would be too heavy to fill with dirt so I am thinking of just some pots inside with things that will trail down and tidy up one area that is difficult to grow things. By cutting back the size of some of the gardens and putting in walk ways, it cuts back on work and is less expensive to fill. Lots of work this year.Maybe less next year as each year will be more difficult for me.
 photo c5c658c0d7aede73267daa345a835166_zpsrjbboihq.jpg
I LOVE this idea. I made one once before and she is all falling apart now. She lasted quite some time. I do have some drift wood and I do have some old shutters so will see what one works best.
 photo e99594f9ba019bac210e9c28e4e0fb22_zpstxrgsicl.jpg
Or this one or both.
 photo 16142684_9373_zpsrpodrcch.jpg
I have a couple or three maybe of these. My friend Nancy's husband made them many years ago. They can sit around the garden with maybe lettuce or something practical in them, painted bright colours.
 photo ada55b68f32475624e5a2fff21b658d9_zps8xydlnp9.jpg
I have an old watering can like this, now if I can find what Tristen did with the spout I think I will do this. Stand it on a bench somewhere. I realize that my garden will not be quite so destroyed now he only visits now and then. One advantage I guess.
 photo d610b0b1c2af6d de4_zpsqoxqqh85.jpg
I also have a couple of old Tea Kettles that I will hang for the birds. Spout down for drainage or maybe punch a hole somewhere.
 photo 6cb23b6ce09c88e1b29cf4520ad382f0_zpsqbr6jros.jpg
I like this idea
 photo 20a3c07c7e1261fe03d47a3ae07160ec_zps602bzpdt.jpg
The only thing with this sort of thing is no drainage. I had set some cups and saucers on posts but the water in the cups get slimy so wont do that again. I am going to fill the cup instead with suet and seeds and hang them from trees
I have some old rusty tool boxes and an old cooler rusty now as it is metal, and I love this idea. Again I will put things in pots although soil would be ok if it was under the glass table on the deck.
 photo 2e480a00ee298ac65b9374ae901e2583_zpsx39o0aue.jpg
Another thing, I have a couple, actually 4 of these old milk churns and one has no lid. This will work for that one. Last year I put a plate on it and used it as a bird bath. I may do that again but they do make good tables. Funny thing is we don't sit outside much once it gets hot. So a bird bath again would be more practical.
 photo 262e3d9e5e97861f9ed3793686b7402d_zpshjjvdydb.jpg
My two fountains are not working now, last year I still had water in them for the birds and they were well used. This year I believe I will fill them with flowers instead and I hope buy a new bird bath/fountain. Tristen broke the last one. I do still have one bird bath though and will make the other with the Milk Churn. With the small ones I have around that the bees like, saucers and old ash trays, everyone will be happy.
I will be happy when I can get going. Has to be done before the heat arrives, small window of time to get everything done.
I am sharing this post with Inspire Me Monday

4 comments:

Connie said...

Every garden needs a little whimsy and these are wonderful ideas. I love both of the angels, too . . . I think that I must add one to my garden this spring. That is if spring ever gets here, LOL.

DeniseinVA said...

Hello Janice, I enjoyed reading about your plans for the garden. I also enjoyed all the projects shown here. I'm looking forward to the spring too.

Debby Ray said...

These are all such cute ideas for your garden. I have a few of these containers, myself! I scrolled down into your last post and was admiring your lovely bird photos! It looks like we have many of the same kind of feathered friends that visit! Again, enjoy tour Valentine's Day!

Magic Love Crow said...

What a great post Janice! You got me wanting spring! Amazing ideas you found! I love my shovel! LOL! Thanks for thinking of me! Those angels are adorable too! I really love all of these ideas! I never thought of hanging a tea pot outside? I guess I am always thinking it will break! Big Hugs!