This blog is about my garden and the outdoors. I am new to photography but I am trying to show some of the pretty things that grow here in Michigan. I love the wild things who visit me and I dont mind if they eat a bit here and there. I like it more if they let me take their picture. As time goes on I think I will try to show you around the beautiful area that I live in as well as my garden. I try to use my own pictures as much as possible but will also use pictures from the web. If I inadvertently use your photo or work without permission please email me and I will remove it or give credit if you prefer. I will give credit when I know who the owner is. I would ask that anyone using my pictures do the same.
... I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.......Psalm23:6
If you do not have a blog and wish to comment (I love comments) you can join google and comment via that, It's free

Friday, September 23, 2011

Memories.....

Photobucket

Some of the flowers that I love are because they bring back great memories. Mainly childhood memories of England. You will find that I talk about England all the time, it will forever be a part of who I am.
These orchids in the picture are the Pink and the Yellow Ladyslipper, it is found in the woods here in Michigan. The other one is the Bee Orchid. Its quite rare and it's home is England. When I was a child there was a disused chalk pit that us kids played down. It was called The Blue Waters. There were Sticklebacks in small streams that came out of the chalk sides of the pit. It was closed up when they hit an underground stream and flooded the floor of the pit. Well, it became a great place for wildlife and for kids. When we were children we were close to nature, I knew the names of the flowers and trees and the animals around me. This little beauty, the Bee Orchid grew there. I knew not to pick it because it was rare. Along with quaking grass that for some reason fascinated me we would hunt for them in season. The Blue Waters was filled in with garbage. Now it is a nature trail so at least they have rectified the deed somewhat. What about those pure streams, the fishes, the flowers? Did anyone do a study or give it a thought before garbage was dumped there?

Photobucket

Cowslips, violets and bluebells. Flowers I would gather for my mum from the woodlands and fields.

Photobucket

White violets are quite rare. There was a spot that I knew they grew in the Baulk. When mum died and my husband and I went for a walk there I pointed to a small stream and said "we used to pick white violets over there" he replied "How on earth could you possibly know where they were after all these years" (probably a good 50 years..............so I went over through the trees and low and behold right where I said they were we found white violets growing on the banks of the stream. Took me back all those years and made my day. Flowers are special, they evoke memories and people and bring smiles to the heart.

1 comment:

Betsy@My Salvaged Treasures said...

Amazing that the violets were still there exactly where you remembered them.