This blog is about my garden and the outdoors. I am new to photography but I am trying to show some of the pretty things that grow here in Michigan. I love the wild things who visit me and I dont mind if they eat a bit here and there. I like it more if they let me take their picture. As time goes on I think I will try to show you around the beautiful area that I live in as well as my garden. I try to use my own pictures as much as possible but will also use pictures from the web. If I inadvertently use your photo or work without permission please email me and I will remove it or give credit if you prefer. I will give credit when I know who the owner is. I would ask that anyone using my pictures do the same.
... I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.......Psalm23:6
If you do not have a blog and wish to comment (I love comments) you can join google and comment via that, It's free

Wednesday, August 30, 2017

At a loss...........................

The weather this year has been strange. It seems we have had so much rain and yet the garden is dry. I can't afford to put mulch down on the garden as well as the walking areas. That would hold some moisture in, maybe next year but its really not practical. That would basically mean the whole yard would be under mulch. I cut back on grass because it's hard to maintain. Out the back the dogs pretty much wreck the grass. The front is turning into moss and bald spots. I have no answer because I have no money.
 photo 20170829_153142_zpsc1k97cek.jpg
I need to finish the fence on that one side out front, just a few more pieces.
The flowers now are finishing up, there are daisies out at the moment but everything is straggly and so much needs pulling. Will I get it done before the snow flies? I am finding it more difficult every year to tolerate any kind of heat and especially humidity. It kills me.
 photo 20170829_153820_zpscgiq73lu.jpg
We will probably stay in this house a few more years God willing, that means getting the garden in some shape in those years so when we sell the house it looks presentable. I tried putting in shrubs this year but at least 3 didn't thrive. I will try something else next year maybe. Even the Hosta this year did not do well, something was eating on them, some bug or other.
 photo 20170821_114054_zpsfu3mjsb9.jpg
My vegetable garden was a flop. I hardly think it worth the effort really. It is expensive to plant and for what I got back it made things very expensive, even though they taste so good.
Once again, the zucchini was a flop. The Tomatoes didn't do well even though I put down Dairy Doo. The ones in pots were a job to keep watered but did as well as those in the ground. Only one was a strong plant.
 photo 20170829_153432_zpsacpewkzt.jpg
My herbs did well though. I need to cut those back soon and try them in the house for winter.
Maybe next year if Gerry is not working I can get some help out there, it's getting to much to do on my own. I am getting old and I fotget that fact. I suppose in some ways it's good that I don't actually feel old, but I am. Kneeling is painful, getting back up is difficult and I can't see. My eye is getting worse. The eye doctor doesn't want to fix the cataracts because only having one good eye, he doesn't want to risk loosing the other one. Not likely but still. I am beginning to think it worth the risk.I would not have to wear glasses if I had my eye fixed.
 photo 20170829_152136_zpsby44jwwa.jpg
Anyway.............maybe next years garden I will just put in more annuals and let it go. Then Spring comes and I am enthusiastic again. Still it is a big yard front and back. Maybe I should go find some more ivy and really go to town with ground covers. That would cut back on the garden part at least. The Ivy I have potted wont over winter in the house so I will plant that.
 photo 20170829_152412_zpstobjcodw.jpg
I have to go get supplies in for the birds. I look forwards to that. Seeing birds again. They have not been around all summer, thanks in part to the cats. They have kept the Chipmunks away but done nothing to scare the squirrels.
 photo 20170829_153242_zpstgzrrno3.jpg
I certainly believe the climate is changing and it looks like we may be in for a hard winter this year. We have not had one in awhile. Some things are cyclical but even so, things have changed.
Right now in Texas they have the terrible floods from the hurricane Harvey. Nothing like that seen before and in places not normally flooded.Well it could happen here. We are not far from the Bay and if we got that much rain, you just never know. We are never more than 5 miles from water anywhere around here so it's a possibility. I don't think we carry flood insurance. Not sure I would want to live on a lake as nice as it would be, I would not want to deal with that.
 photo 20170819_124643_zpscj1o19hs.jpg
I dread having to bring in the plants for the winter but it is certainly a cost saver. The Geraniums I brought in did really well this year outside. So I will bring those back in and pamper them/ The Ivy I will put in the ground because I know that wont live. The herbs, well I would love for those the survive so I can use them. Just the Rosemary and Basil. I will try those in the kitchen window maybe and the Lavender. The one in the small pot did well but the one I planted out front in a container died. I never have luck with Lavender
 photo 20170829_152105_zpssifeu9mj.jpg
I think getting up at 5 am is causing my lack of enthusiasm. I am too tired for anything. I need to at least trim the Basil down and the Sage. The sage has done well. I also put in Dill, even though it didn't do great it has seeds on it. SO maybe next year it will come back and do well. I will try to save the heads of Dill. I bought a machine that seals bags for the feezer and I will be picking the herbs and freezing them.
Just a few days of babysitting left and I can get on a better schedule. Maybe that will help.
 photo 20170821_114249k_zps2i4hgqbi.jpg
This is my 2nd year of having a veggie garden and I can see what is and what is not worth while. Tomatoes and Peppers didn't do well but they could so will plant those again. I did put in a pot of onions, that was a waste of time. Peas and green beans did not do a thing.......not enough sun I suspect, so I don't think I will try that again. Zucchini, I don't understand, lots of flowers but no fruit, well 4 so far. Again, maybe more sun? Radishes, forget it. I got those in then it got so wet I never thinned them out and they just took up space. Never used the Spinach or Kale. Easier to buy that stuff. The idea of container gardens seemed nice but, nope, not worth it.
 photo 20170821_114317l_zps7tsjdutw.jpg
The Roses all did well in the Spring but none have blossomed since. Till now, and I had a couple more blooms. Just not a good year for the garden. Not at all good.

1 comment:

Magic Love Crow said...

It has been a weird year Janice! I know some of my hostas died and most are eaten up too! You are right about the the rain too. We had tones as well, but my garden is dry too! Even though I love being outside, I try to make it as easy as I can on myself! And, even that, my mom says I am outside too much! LOL! But, I have cut a lot back over the years. You can only do what you can do Janice! I like the idea of the ivy for the ground cover. Take care of yourself!!! Big Hugs!