This blog is about my garden and the outdoors. I am new to photography but I am trying to show some of the pretty things that grow here in Michigan. I love the wild things who visit me and I dont mind if they eat a bit here and there. I like it more if they let me take their picture. As time goes on I think I will try to show you around the beautiful area that I live in as well as my garden. I try to use my own pictures as much as possible but will also use pictures from the web. If I inadvertently use your photo or work without permission please email me and I will remove it or give credit if you prefer. I will give credit when I know who the owner is. I would ask that anyone using my pictures do the same.
... I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.......Psalm23:6
If you do not have a blog and wish to comment (I love comments) you can join google and comment via that, It's free

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

My Dad's Garden...........................

I worry about trying to keep the kids from wrecking my garden. Then I realized, my Dad had a nice garden. I never wrecked it. I was able to respect the work he did, and the pride he had in his gardens.
When we moved into the house on Bidwell Hill, I was about 4 years old. The garden was a wilderness when we moved in. The back was all Gooseberry bushes and the front was brambles. He changed all that into flower gardens. I don't have great pictures but will share what I have.
 photo 101_0451a_zpsokza1ylw.jpg
As you see the garden is full of colour. Maybe the washing lines spoil the view but well that was a part of life back then. I think its because its England that he was able to have colour all the time. There was always something in bloom. Things did not just bloom once and that was it, they seemed to be in bloom all summer. Then again, the growing season was longer than here in Michigan.
He loved gardening, in his spare time he would work for others for some extra spending money. My kids enjoyed the lawn and the time spend with Granddad
 photo 1489203_10152274820814761_941848465_n_zpsobwpqdwu.jpg
The other end of the back garden he built a garage, such as it is, but it is still standing and still being used.
 photo 101_1684a_zpsjpd5ck6m.jpg
He also had a garden shed. He would repair his own shoes back then, he learned that from his Grandfather. On the garden side of the shed he grew some Japanese Quince, beautiful in flower. He had an apple tree that he espaliered. I learned many things I will never use from my Dad. He showed me how to manipulate the tree when young so that it grew that way, flat. He also showed me how to graft roses. When I was quite young I asked for my own garden. He gladly dug up a stretch by a fence and gave me stuff to put in it. Of course I didn't keep it up as well as I should so he often was caught weeding and eventually took it over and it all became a part of the back garden.
 photo 101_0692a_zps7soybhzb.jpg
 photo 101_0690a_zpsuofy5pod.jpg
My daughter Laura enjoyed the garden but has not inherited an interst in gardening.
 photo 101_0691a_zps1lck748c.jpg
 photo 101_0682_zpslft96xyf.jpg
The front garden he set in crazy paving when he wanted to start a rose garden. There were two Beech trees and the garden was surrounded by Privet Hedges that he shaped. I dream of them because I would find birds nests in them. I dream I am looking for nests when in my dream I go home.
Here is Laura out in the front putting bird seeds in Harry's Folly. He built that himself. We were never really sure what it was intended to be but it became a bird feeder. Water would not stay in it so if he thought of it as a bird bath, that didn't happen. It has to be very early Spring in the picture because no Roses in sight.
 photo 101_0669a_zpsxcd9be0r.jpg
The side of the house (it was a semi detached) was the entrance to the back of the house. He trained a bush to grow in an archway and a gate went below. You will see many things in my garden that I have done to remember my old home. My parents both lived there until they died. Dad had been a POW in Japan and died at age 68 followed by Mum who lived to be 71.
 photo 101_0450_zpsenqvlzsx.jpg
The side of the house in full summer was covered in Honeysuckle and smelled divine. The front was covered in Forsythia that looked brilliant in the Spring. The picture below is my husband and my son Jason. We stayed with my parents before we left for the States. I had lived there until I married. One Spring the Sparrows nested right under his bedroom window. Because they always kept the windows open the noise got on his nerves, haha.........well he cut down all that lovely Forsythia so that he never had to deal with noisy Sparrows the next nesting season. I was sad because it was so pretty and lush once the blooms had gone.
 photo 101_0737a_zpsbsqd2v3q.jpg
So many things in my garden remind me of home. I just wish the soil was better and that I had more time and more to work with. I do not like the heat and winter is almost 6 months here. So my possibilities are limited by the climate. I am still trying to grow Roses.
His roses were for a time his pride and joy. Two other men on Bidwell Hill were avid gardeners. They would walk on by and look over the hedge to see how his roses were doing. When Mr Green the milkman brought around his horse and cart to sell his vegetables, there were at least those 3 men watching from behind lace curtains and ready with a shovel......you can imagine why. Mr Miller lived further down and around the corner so for my Dad to see Mr Millers roses he had to take the dog for a walk. Mr Miller was more fortunate because he had to walk by to go down to the village. Mr Mole lived across the road so he could see easy enough.
My Dad gave me a love of gardens, of flowers, birds and wildlife among many other things. I hope he is a gardener in heaven.














2 comments:

Merlesworld said...

They are wonderful places gardens, my dad always had something in flower and a great vegie garden too.
Merle..........

Magic Love Crow said...

What wonderful pictures and wonderful memories ;o)