This blog is about my garden and the outdoors. I am new to photography but I am trying to show some of the pretty things that grow here in Michigan. I love the wild things who visit me and I dont mind if they eat a bit here and there. I like it more if they let me take their picture. As time goes on I think I will try to show you around the beautiful area that I live in as well as my garden. I try to use my own pictures as much as possible but will also use pictures from the web. If I inadvertently use your photo or work without permission please email me and I will remove it or give credit if you prefer. I will give credit when I know who the owner is. I would ask that anyone using my pictures do the same.
... I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.......Psalm23:6
If you do not have a blog and wish to comment (I love comments) you can join google and comment via that, It's free

Friday, August 10, 2018

It's been awhile.............

Yes it has been awhile since I had anything to write about, and honestly, I still don't. This has been a horrible summer for me. No cool days unless it's wet and humid. I do not do humid. It makes me dragged out and cranky. I feel lazy and take no joy in working when 5 mins in I am dripping wet and have a headache. Quit whining she says..........OK. So whats going on outside.
This year I dug up a new garden on the side of the house. In that I planted veggies. Not good.
 photo 20180723_190945_zpseswcj1az.jpg
I have so far got about 6 zucchini from it and see two more growing. That's more than the last couple of attempts but I guess there is just not enough sun on that side. The good news is that garden has vastly improved the look of the side. So maybe next year some flowers can go in.
The Tomato's in the garden out back have not done well. Have got some nice ones though, just enough to enjoy but not enough to can. I find the small ones do better but honestly, it's been too hot for me to care
 photo 20180723_190938_zpsfdfzi6qo.jpg
I know I need to get out and weed and feed. I just don't want to. Can't get Gerry to cut the grass and he does nothing unless I nag him so am sick of the whole business right now
Some of the flowers did OK but really even the Day lily were duds this year.
 photo 20180809_180924_zpsc5xh8lli.jpg
 photo 20180809_175420_zpso681ytrp.jpg
I have had a nice show of Sunflower that came up from the bird seeds.
 photo 20180809_180658_zpsiot3evwm.jpg
They popped up all over so I left them. I also have some pretty weeds showed up. No idea what they are called but will replant those where they can grow free next year. A flower is a flower in my book and if it's pretty it's most welcome. This is a Deadly Nightshade. That has to go because it is spreading all over but for now I enjoy the flower and the birds actually like the berries so that has my limited acceptance.
 photo 20180809_180421_zpsg3yopudm.jpg
This pepper has lasted 3 years now. It's a pity the fruit is way too hot haha. Will I bring it in again this year? I am trying to decide who stays and who goes because it is a pain having them in the house. They get messy by Spring. So.......I think I will repot a few things and see what happens. With the redecorating I do have more space than other years.
Some that I do want to keep..........
 photo 20180809_180610_zps9stlg7e0.jpg
 photo 20180809_180741_zps1vttwdyk.jpg
 photo 20180809_180722_zpscywqcdgx.jpg
 photo 20180809_180716_zpshltu33ot.jpg
 photo 20180809_180710_zpsykhthr0b.jpg
The Boston Ferns are so lovely but seldom Winter well so I don't think I will save those again. The two Geraniums did well but, they don't flower very quickly. I may try again and feed them better both before and in Spring.
If I do get chance to clean up this Fall, then a few things need to be moved. I love the Chives and Garlic Chives. I grow those for the flowers and I want them in a place they will be happy.
 photo 20180809_175629_zps93ldycii.jpg
I have not sat outside once this year since the snow melt. The humid air makes me feel I am drowning.
 photo 20180809_175832_zpsjaw4evn7.jpg
 photo 20180809_175824_zps8uwrqs6p.jpg
I still have some Hosta to plant too, the dryness has just not helped my back shade garden. I need the trees trimmed back but can't get Gerry out to do anything. If I were able to be out then I am sure he would. He seems to like cutting stuff down. I get did get quite a bit done when it was still cold outside but have just not been since and there is a lot of trimming and dead heading to be done. Think I will leave it at that until I get some better pictures to share.

1 comment:

Magic Love Crow said...

It has been a hard summer! I know I just through out 2 hostas! I think you should make your garden smaller Janice! It is alot of work! You hubby isn't helping you, so it's all on your shoulders. It's alot of work! I know I have made my gardens smaller and I think it's still alot of work! LOL! Take it easy and hopefully, cooler days will be coming soon! Glad you got some vegetables! Big Hugs!